About Me

My photo
Science communication is important in today's technologically advanced society. A good part of the adult community is not science savvy and lacks the background to make sense of rapidly changing technology. My blog attempts to help by publishing articles of general interest in an easy to read and understand format without using mathematics. You can contact me at ektalks@yahoo.co.uk

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Energy Source for a Sustainable Future: The Nuclear Option

Index of Blogs and Courses
In 2008, the Institute of Physics (UK) at Newcastle had asked me to talk about nuclear energy option for the future. Climate Change is a big challenge for our civilization and shifting electricity production with nuclear reactors is a far better option than electricity generation by burning fossil fuels.  The talk was designed for UK audience and more attention is given to electricity generation in the UK. It is good to see that the government has changed its previous position and is now actively looking for commissioning new reactors. 
In the talk, I had briefly reviewed the indicators of Climate Change (these are covered in more detail in a separate blog) and explain how fission chain reaction in uranium generates electricity.
This blog supplements my other publication on the atomic nucleus
In the following I publish the slides of the IoP (Newcastle) talk.  I have retained the section on nuclear fusion which has good potential but its realization is probably not going to happen for at least a few more decades.
   Please click on a slide to view its bigger image:




























Blog Contents - Who am I?

No comments: